This one is all the other Olsen-obsessed 90s babies out there 🙂
OK, so ICYMI, Catherine and I dressed up as Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen for our Halloween shoot over on The Crystal Press this year! We had such a blast dressing up as the iconic twins, and it was almost too easy. Instead of letting these photos disappear with the passing of Halloween, I decided to create a little evergreen content, by sharing how you can rock an Olsen-inspired look during the cooler months. These famous twins have been known to rock their baggy, layered up, bag lady style in the airport, outside of their New York apartments, and even in the chic-est ways on the red carpet. To nail their style is pretty easy and Catherine and I just had to reach into our closet and grab some of our favorite black pieces and layer up!
SO: here’s the magic equation for achieving Olsen style —-
- CHUNKY SWEATER / OUTER LAYER – Ok, so wear whatever you want underneath your layers. T-shirt, tank top, whatever feels most comfortable. Then bring on the layers! Long blazers, chunky sweaters, black trenches are all great layered up! In the winter, these are actually practical pieces to layer up, and if you are like us, you are already doing this somewhat, you just might not realize you are channeling your inner Olsen.
- BLACK BLANKET SCARF – Neither of us are that huge on scarves, tbh. I carry around my Let’s Talk Towels Turkish towels during the cooler months or just cuddle up in turtleneck sweaters. BUT, we knew we had to add some oversized scarves for this look. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money just for the costume, so I ordered these black blanket scarves off Amazon and was so pleasantly surprised. They were super soft and definitely added the extra Olsen touch.
- SKINNY JEANS OR LEGGINGS – I recently said on twitter that I don’t know if I will ever wear jeans again because I got out of the habit during quarantine and put them on for this shoot and tbh, they were so uncomfortable. Even my super stretchy jeans. They might also be a few sizes too small, though. SO, if you are a jeans gal, pull out your favorite pair of skinny jeans. If you aren’t, leggings give the same vibes.
- SANDALS WITH SOCKS OR CHELSEA BOOTS – So, we were going off of a very specific photo of Mary-Kate and Ashley where they are wearing socks with sandals in the airport and decided to run with that as our inspo. (Plus, it was a fun excuse to wear my new Chanel dad sandals with socks). Lots of their other street style snaps show them wearing Chelsea boots, which I love also. Either would give the right vibe and both are quintessentially Olsen. Birkenstocks are BACK and would be perfect for this.
- BONUS POINTS FOR: Big tote bag & Starbucks Cup. Big tote bags for everything you could possibly need when you leave the house are a must. We both have the reusable Starbucks cups for water but we knew we had to get them for our hot drinks (or rose) as a part of this shoot! I think they make it, right?
Most of you probably have these items in your closet and now you can put them together for a Mary-Kate and Ashley inspired street style look this season!